Home

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

DIY Mirror, Mirror On The Wall


DIY Mirror

If you remember in my last post I mentioned that I thought I had found the perfect piece to hang above the bed and here is it.

Would you believe this piece actually started out as a piece of art?  I found it at a Peddlers Mall.  It was hidden in the midst of a lot of  other cheap, ugly pictures but this frame caught my eye immediately and it was a steal for only $10...woohoo!

And here is the big before reveal!  Can you believe this is what it started out as?


It's not terrible but it definitely wasn't for me.  I did discover a couple of interesting things when I removed the backing and took the picture out.  The artwork is an original.  I'm not an artist so there's a good chance what I'm about to say is totally wrong but I think it done using oil pastels.  It has an oily waxy feel to it so I assume that's what it was done with.

When I found this picture I was a little perplexed because the picture and the frame didn't seem to be from the same time period.  The picture was more modern in comparison to the frame and I assumed someone has reused an old frame.  It was when I was putting it back together that I discovered someone had taped the picture on top of what I assume was the original piece of art that was in the frame. 


I'm sure its a priceless work of art and just my luck its ruined by having tape on it.  Oh well, I wasn't interested in the piece for the art, it was the frame and the glass that I was interested in.

So...now you know how it started out and what it looks like now.  In this post I'm going to show you how simple and easy it was to transform this into a vintage looking mirror.

Here's the necessary supplies to transform glass into a vintage, mercury glass mirror.  All you need is a piece of glass, Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect spray paint, a rag and a spray bottle with an even mixture of vinegar and water and you are ready to make your own vintage looking mirror


PS...probably not my smartest decision when I decided to do this in our basement.  The odor was quiet strong but it was to cold and wet to do it outside...the things you do in the name of DIY.


The process to converting glass to a vintage mirror is simple.  Apply a thin coat of the mirror spray, mist the glass with the vinegar water mixture and blot it dry with a rag.  I used a cut up t-shirt because its soft.  I was afraid other rags would be to rough and take off to much paint.


Repeat these steps six times and let it dry thoroughly before you place it back in the frame.  I did have to fix a couple of spots where the vinegar water spray was a little heavy and I took off to much paint.  Its was an easy fix since the mirror is supposed to look like mercury glass.  

You could use a smaller picture frame and write a note to your overnight guests and include your Wi-Fi password or put one beside your bed and write yourself a positive note to wake up to or if you're like me write a reminder to yourself to pick up bread and milk, etc.  You could also do this with a vase or any other clear glassware.  


Of course the frame isn't n perfect shape but that's ok with me, I like it better that way.  She's showing her age and she's hung around for a long time now...get it hung around.  That's my attempt at a little humor.  It's not my best but it's all I've got at the moment.


Look how sweet my other Peddlers Mall find reflects in the mirror.


It looks like an old mirror instead of a brand new one.


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  It's much cheaper than going out and buying a new one and the satisfaction of another do it yourself project makes it even better.

Give it try and see what you can come up with.  

Until next time stay safe and warm my friends!

~~Jennifer~~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment