Home

Friday, November 23, 2012

Facelift complete...

FINALLY...
 
 
I have used my Annie Sloan chalk paint on a few small projects but this was my first large scale project and it was so much fun I think I'm going to have to go get more colors to try.  I found this cute little vintage vanity and thought it would be adorable with a little TLC and a new coat of paint.
 

I forgot to take a picture before I removed the mirror.
 

 I decided to strip all the paint off in case the old paint was lead based and how lucky for me, it only had four coats of paint on it. 
 
Here it is with most of the paint off. 
 
Here it is with a coat of Annie Sloan paint in graphite.
 
This is it after as Mr. Miyagi says...wax on, wax off.  I did cheat a little, notice the bucket to the left.  Believe it or not its a car buffer (laugh if you want but sometimes you just gotta think out of the box).   I borrowed it from my brother and yes I did use it (some) but there was a lot of hand buffing involved too.
 
My beautiful daughter and helper. Notice the attire and lack of shoes...can you believe its Thanksgiving Day and she's dressed like that.
 
Still on the fence about the drawer pulls...I kinda like them but wondering about changing to clear glass knobs.  What do you think?
 
 
Now to get a piece of glass to complete the vanity and its all done.  Guess I will be visiting Cox Hardware to get my glass cut.  Nothing like home town friendly service.
 
 
 Ahh...the glow represents my happiness at finally getting this done.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous and unique vanity! I've never seen one like it. I love it with the graphite, one of my favorite colors recently. I might have to borrow the car buffer idea... :) Did you use clear or dark wax or both? It's absolutely beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Danielle! I actually used both clear and dark wax. I applied the clear wax first and then sanded the piece before I applied the dark wax. It was a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete